Planning on taking a trip to Italy soon? When it comes to Italian food, many people assume they are experts. However, this is not always the case. Sure, you occasionally eat a plate of spaghetti at home, and always order chicken parmigiana whenever you go to Olive Garden, but this cuisine goes so much further than that. When you are abroad, it is wise to have a good sense of the culture you are visiting. Sebastiano’s Italian Resturant is here to make you an Italian expert, just like us! We are going to tell you all the things you must do in Italy and all the things you must avoid. This is why we are the best Italian restaurant near me, especially in Hollywood FL.
Let’s Start With the Bad Stuff
We suggest you don’t do the following when traveling in Italy:
- Eat in a gelateria that has bright green mint or pistachio gelato. The ingredients won’t be natural.
- Order cappuccino after 10 am.
- Eat in a restaurant with a tourist menu or with someone outside encouraging you to come in.
- Feel obliged to order every course. It is a lot of food. Pick and choose as you please.
- Ask for oil and vinegar to go with your bread. That’s not a real Italian thing. It’s not served with butter either.
- Expect fancy salad dressings. A salad is dressed at the table with olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. When the ingredients are this good, you don’t need anything more.
- Feel like you have to tip. It’s optional.
- Order a soft drink in a restaurant unless you are prepared to pay around €3. This is the same price as un quarto (quarter liter) of wine.
- Water is free.
The Do’s of Italian Food
Here is a list of things we feel you should do while dining in Italy:
- Eat gelato every day. It’s that good. Look for the signs produzione, propria, and artigianale in gelaterias which means that the gelato is made on-site, and in an old-fashioned way with natural ingredients.
- Order un caffe (espresso) after dessert, not during the meal.
- Drink coffee at the bar (al banco) or pay extra to sit down.
- Eat pizza with your hands. In a pizzeria, you will cut the pizza into slices yourself then feel free to use your hands.
- Stick with a primo (first course, usually pasta, risotto or soup) if you are vegetarian—a secondo (second course) is almost always meat and a primo is tasty and filling enough.
- Order wine with a meal – beer and soft drinks are only really acceptable with pizza.
- Choose your mineral water naturale (normal) or frizzante (fizzy). A liter bottle is served with every meal, and unfortunately, tap water is not common.
- Fill up on the aperitivo buffets served free in bars when you buy a drink in the early evenings. If you are on a budget you could even skip dinner. Ask our Italian restaurant near me, if you have additional questions.
Visit Us Today
If you are taking a trip across the sea to our favorite peninsula, we have all the advice you need. Your visit to Italy will be one you will always remember. We know Italian food, Hollywood FL. Call or visit Sebastiano’s Italian Restaurant today. We would love to have you. We are the best Italian restaurant near me.